Snap India has announced ‘Lens on the Year’ to honour some of the most innovative technologies applied to Augmented Reality (AR) over the year, as per the press release.
Several Lenses were declared to be the favorite of the users, reflecting the trends, cultural moments, festivals celebrated by the Snap India community in the country. Here are some of the most popular Lenses of the year:
- Happy Diwali! by Snap: With the theme of ‘Share your Light,’ This unique Lens allows Snapchatters to share Diya with their loved ones. The Lens recognizes the user’s hand and places a lit Diya on the palm. This popular Diwali Lens gained over 200 million impressions in India.
- Happy Raksha Bandhan! by Snap: The Lens, with wrist recognition tech, allows users to tie a Rakhi virtually on the wrist and share any message with their siblings.
- Sparkling Hand (Holi) by Snap: These special Lenses enabled Snapchatters to throw colors, show before and after Holi looks, and share messages for the festive occasion with their loved ones.
- My Friend Is (Friendship Day) by Snap: Using this Lens, users can share fun characteristics about their friends.
- Gudi Padwa, Onam, Makar Sankranti by Snap: With this Lens, the user could share their New Year greeting for Gudi Padwa suing the festive-themed AR. In contrast, users could share the traditional Sandhya served on the holiday using the Onam Lenses for Onam.
Snapchatters also celebrated festivals like Eid, Guru Nanak Jayanti, and Rath Yatra by using popular AR Lenses designed for the purpose.
Here’s a list of some of the creative tools by Snap that were most popular this year:
- India Gate Landmark by Snap: With this Lens, users can see the Indian National Flag through the India Gate when they point Snapchat app to scan the India Gate. The tool was developed for the occasion of India’s 75th Independence Day.
- Mood Octopus Lens: With this Lens, people can swap the color of Octopus toy to express their mood without saying anything
- Teeth Lens: Developed in a partnership with the Kapil Sharma Show, the Lens featured the host of the comedy show, launching a new character to interview the celebrities invited to his performance.
Some of the Lenses that went viral this year:
- Gold Chain Lens: Indian traditional jewelry Lenses with sunglasses were popular throughout the year in the country.
- Indian Traditional Jewelry: The Lens allows users to virtually try gold necklaces, earring jhumkas, nose rings, and more.
- Learn Language: With this Lens, users can highlight their local language translation by identifying objects through Machine Learning.
- 3D Cartoon by Snap: With this Lens, Snapchatters can turn themselves into cartoon characters.
Several branded Lenses were also trendy on Snap this year, including body tracking and the Star Sports Lenses.
- It feels like ISHQ by Netflix: The Love Prediction Lens, which follows the plot of the series, appears as a crystal bowl, and predicts unusual situations and places where users can find love and romance.
- Mix It Up: The first body tracking Lens in the country allows users to capture themselves by swapping the lower half of their bodies with humourous alternatives.
- DilFilmySunoFilmy by Spotify: The first Lens of the music streaming service allows users to enter and choose three Spotify playlist genres to walk into virtually and get a glimpse.
- Star Sports by Snap: The Lens uses volume detection and upper body skin segmentation technology to detect how loudly the user is cheering for the Indian cricket team and trigger the skin to turn blue in the Lens.